About Funza Lushaka
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a programme to support teaching studies and available to qualified students to complete a teaching degree. Bursary recipients are then required to teach at public schools equivalent to the duration of bursary received.
Funza Lushaka Bursaries
Application for the Funza Lushaka teaching bursary must be done online each year.
Bursary recipients are required to teach at a public school they are assigned to and they cannot choose the school they are assigned since the assignment is according to priority.
The bursary amount given will cover most of the recipient’s necessary expenses that may include tuition, accommodation including meals, books and learning materials, and if possible a small allowance for monthly living expenses.
Important guidelines for the Online Application of Funza Lushaka Bursary 2020:
– Applicants who have criminal record, have been charged of misconduct or are dismissed from work are not qualified
– Higher Education Institution employees and their immediate families are not accepted
– Online application is a MUST. No hard copies are accepted by the programme.
– Printing of the completed on-line application is a MUST.
– Anyone who already has other teaching qualifications do not qualify
Two types of qualifications can be funded are:
Undergraduate studies or a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B Ed), specializing in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10-12); and
Graduate studies or One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). Combined qualifications are also acceptable such as combine specialization in the Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3) and Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), or the Intermediate Phase and Senior Phase, or the Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10 –12).
The priority areas are:
Foundation Phase (i.e. Grades R-3) – Foundation Phase (with preference for African Languages)
Intermediate and Senior Phase (i.e. Grades 4-9) – Preference will be given for a teaching major in TWO of the following:
– Natural Science & Technology
FET phase (i.e. Grades 10-12) – Preference will be given for a teaching major in TWO of the following:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Technology
- Civil Technology
- Computer Applications Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Mechanical Technology
- Physical Sciences, Languages, Technical Mathematics and Technical Science
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
– South African citizen
– Good academic performance
– Graduates who want to complete a teaching degree or want to become teachers (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) and have already been accepted at an accredited public University.
– Applicants who want to make a career change and become teachers, show dedication and passion for a professional career in teaching, display interest in working with young people, are ready to face and handle difficult challenges and have personal integrity.
– Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children are not eligible.
– Two of the priority area subjects must be included as a specialisation in the teaching qualification.
For 1st time entrants to university:
– Proof of admission to bachelor degree studies pass at matric/Grade 12 level.
– Minimum level 4 rating at matric level in the subject which the applicant will specialize to teach.
– A pass in Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level and a minimum level 4 pass in the Home Language, for students who intend to specialize in the Foundation Phase
– Average of at least 50% for students who have completed matric prior to 2008 when Mathematics was not compulsory
– At least level 4 pass in Mathematics, for students who wish to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, including CAT, and who do not have these subjects at matric level
For new applicants already at university:
– Passed all of the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the Higher Education Institution
– Minimum 55% average across all the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at a Higher Education Institution
– Minimum 55% average in modules studied relevant to the priority area teaching specialization in the last/most recent year of study at university
For new applicants enrolling for PGCE:
– Successful completion of a recognized qualification to be admitted for a PGCE
– Must have majored in Psychology and an African Language for a PGCE in – Foundation Phase Teaching
– Must have at least TWO recognized priority subjects at second year level
– Must have adequate modules in the recognized priority subjects
For existing bursary holders:
– Passed at least two-thirds or 66.6% of all the subject modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the university
– Passed at least two-thirds or 66.6% of the priority subject area modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the Higher Education Institution
– Passed the priority subject
– Must be proceeding to the next level/year of study
– Must achieve at least 50% average across all subject modules
How to Apply and Application Details
1. Online application is a must.
2. Go to funzalushaka.doe.gov.za
– Register your online profile by providing your personal details.
– Login your username and password to the system.
– Once logged in, go to the e-Services menu and choose Funza Lushaka Bursary.
– Click on the Application menu, follow the steps and complete all the required fields with accurate information.
– Accept the confirmation declaration and receive feedback on the status of the application through email.
3. Print the completed online application and submit to the university where you are accepted and registered.
4. Accompany the application form with certified copies of your ID and your academic records:
– Certified copy of Grade 12 result or certificate, for 1st year students coming out of Grade 12
– Certified copy of latest academic transcript, for students already at university
5. Accompanying documents must be submitted to the applicant’s university coordinator, otherwise, application will be rejected.
Applications for the Funza Lushaka bursary 2020 will open on 01 October 2020.